Matthew Verse

Matthew Verse

Monday, October 27, 2014

Purpose


As I admire the mountains and enjoy a cup of coffee, I begin to reflect on what a blessing it has been to spend the last three months in such a beautiful country. It's been awhile since my last update, and I want to start off by thanking you for your encouraging messages as I pushed through a lonely season. You are all so wonderful!

The past two weeks have flown by. As I stated in my last post, we had two families come and pick up their children. It was awesome to see the children interact with their new parents, as well as witness how the children transformed from day one to day three. While questioning my purpose, God allowed me to experience something incredible and gave me a clear reminder as to why I'm here.

Last Monday my "mom away from home" returned, along with a team of 14! Needless to say, it's been a busy and fun-filled week getting to know people. The team leader adopted from GLA, and welcomed her child home shortly after the earthquake in 2010. Hearing her miraculous story was yet another great reminder of my daily purpose here in Haiti. We continue to spend one day a week at Fort Jacques, and it's nearing completion. This is the view from one of the classrooms, God's creation is stunning!


My 4 1/2 year old continues to practice walking, and it's evident she is progressing. I'm so proud of her!

Prior to this past week, I spent time daydreaming of the things I look forward to when I return home. Such as, the availability of a close grocery store, driving, clean water, freedom to roam, long/hot showers, and going to the gym. However, with only two weeks left, it's starting to sink in that I have some tough goodbyes ahead of me. Here are some of the shining faces I will miss dearly:







Yesterday evening was cinema night at the toddler house. We filled several small bags with homemade popcorn and smarties for snacks. There's no way I'd rather watch a movie - snuggling one child on my lap and another on each side of me. These are the little moments I will cherish forever. 

I humbly ask that you pray for these remarkable children, that God would continue to pour His unconditional love and blessings upon them. Also, please pray that God would give me strength as I prepare to leave this country. I'm so grateful for each and every one of you. Have a fantastic week!

Love & Blessings,
Ashley

3 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    As you prepare to return home,
    May the Lord bless you
    and protect you.
    May the Lord smile on you
    and be gracious to you.
    May the Lord show you his favor
    and give you his peace.
    Numbers 6: 24-26

    Love you,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, Jo and I enjoy your blog and seeing the photos you share with the world. The emotions you have are normal and your time with the children will remain with you all your life. Before you left we visited about my time in England about your same age. To this day I recall events, the children, the staff, and even the songs we sang. What an experience to keep in your heart as you return home and begin another phase of your life. Jo and I are now in Florida and look forward to seeing you in the spring. Don't be afraid to wear your heart on your sleeve. You will have more challenges ahead of you. Your family and friends are your strength. Always seek the Lord's direction and you will be able to stay strong. Your friends, Vaughn and Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley,
    Roger and I are so proud of you. We have enjoyed reading every single one of your posts and we have been so honored to watch your growth and witness in faith. We have learned so much from you and we cannot wait to welcome you home. Group hug is a top priority. Love ya - Sharla

    ReplyDelete