Matthew Verse

Matthew Verse

Monday, September 8, 2014

The Earth is Filled with His Glory

My third week in Haiti is coming to an end, and God continues to lift the veil that often covers my eyes. I want to share with you some of the lessons God taught me this week.

On Thursday, the other volunteers and I spent the day working at Fort Jacque. We sanded, primed and painted railings. I was covered in dirt and paint, my dad would have been so proud! There's still a lot that needs to be done before the toddlers move at the end of November, so we'll start working their at least once a week. There are six toddler pods, each housing 10-12 kids, along with a loft for the nannies and storage.

Bright and colorful toddler houses














Classrooms, lunch/play area will be in the red building














The other days of the week were spent on the balcony with my sweet six. Each day I fall more and more in love with them. I'm amazed at their progress each week. They are such a wonderful gift from God! Here are a few pictures and a video:




"This lady gives a lot of kisses.."
































Now, for some of my lessons learned. Since I am here until November, many volunteers will come and go, most staying for a period of two weeks. Normally I'm hesitant to develop a strong bond with someone, especially when I know a goodbye is right around the corner. God has been teaching me not to fear goodbye, as well as accept and welcome new volunteers with open arms. If I spend my time building up a wall, I'll be missing out on the opportunity to form some amazing bonds. I've been leaning on Mark 9:37 as a reminder, whether it's a child or elder, welcome them in Jesus name! 
"Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever   welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."
On Saturday, we drove up to the mountains, where the 'real Haiti' was revealed. Petionville is considered one of the wealthiest parts of Haiti. Although it's wealth doesn't compare to America, it's safe to say I have it pretty good where I'm staying. The view from the mountains is indescribable, pictures just don't do justice. Up until this point of my trip, the poverty hasn't hit me like it did on Saturday. It's like nothing I've ever seen.
















As we drove up to the top, three boys stood in the middle of the road. Two boys held baskets of food, while the other held a pink flower. We were driving slow enough for one of the boys to grab onto the passenger door, where I was sitting, and he ran with us for 100 meters or so. We planned to give him money on our way back down, but were unable to communicate that to him. Usually when I witness poverty my heart breaks, but this little boy brought me to tears. Yet, even though my heart was breaking, the people in the mountains and God's beauty was so evident it brought me joy.

When I returned back to the house, I tried to wrap my mind around what I had just seen. What did God want me to learn from this? As I began to process everything, I remembered that the average Haitian makes $2 a day, TWO DOLLARS! Back home I buy a coffee for that price almost everyday. I asked myself over and over again, "What am I doing?" I think God wanted this experience to break my heart, so that I would realize the magnitude of it all. Since then, I've started to take a closer look at what my priorities are living in America compared to what they are in Haiti. Along with that, this experience has really made me think about where I'm investing my money.

Once again, thank you for your love, prayers, and support! "Now glory to God our Father, forever and ever! Amen."

Love from Haiti,
Ashley



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful lessons you are learning, Ashley! I am preaching them to myself tonight too! Thank you for your teachable heart and for teaching the rest of us as well. Love to you from Forest City!

    ReplyDelete