Matthew Verse

Matthew Verse

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Patience is a Virtue


When we see a familiar face, we usually ask, “How are you?” Speaking for myself, I almost always respond with, “Good, you?” I’ve developed a habit of answering the question with “good,” even if I’m not so good.  After a tough week, I’ve started to answer the question with a little more honesty.

In Haiti, there are two types of power, city and EDH. Sunday afternoon our generator broke, which means we had to rely on city power for the week. However, the city decides when we receive power, and how long we have it. One day they gave it to us at 11pm, another day it was 1pm. Sometimes they keep it on for 7 hours, other times just 30 minutes. This week I felt the true effects of living in a Third-World Country, where as before I was still taking light, water, and Internet access for granted. 

Not only did our generator break, but our vehicle did as well. On top of that, the only man in the house was extremely ill. By Friday, everyone’s patience had reached its limit. I know that all of this was a test. A God given test to see how I would react, and to measure my patience. In Hebrews 11:17, God also tested Abraham when he told him to offer his son, Isaac, as a sacrifice. 

As we were walking down to the main house, I saw all the people on the side of the streets. At that point I was filled with humility. I thought to myself, “You have a roof over your head, a comfortable bed to sleep in, food, clothes, and clean water. Step outside and look around.” As 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, “Give thanks in ALL circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” He is continuously revealing his love and faithfulness in His teachings. On Saturday, the generator was  fixed. Please keep 'the man of the house' in your prayers. He managed to fix the generator, but is still sick.


The kids at the toddler house started school on Monday. With that being said, there are usually only 10 to 15 kids outside when we visit in the mornings. There are three boys that I really connect with at the house, and I was worried they weren’t going to remember me the next time I saw them. Saturday morning I walked down for a visit, and sure enough when I entered the gates I saw three smiling faces running towards me. My heart is overflowing with joy and love for all of these children. I can only imagine the joy our Heavenly Father feels when we come running to him with open arms.  


He loves to braid my hair and she loves snuggles. :)
Silly faces!

Decorating for the birthday party


It's hard to believe I've already been here one month. Thank you for your continuous outpouring of love and support. Please let me know if there is any way I can be praying for you. I hope you all have a great week! 

Lots of love,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment